Jan 23, 2006

Beyond India, east or west?

NRI, non-required Indian or non-resident Indian, the word is not foreign. Be it media cacophony or hype surrounding, our hearts rock for USA.

There are no brakes if you want to embrace NRI tag. The easiest way is GRE and TOEFL, both I feel hard to crack and managed GATE to make into IIT, neither my finances would have allowed then. For whatever reasons if you are looking beyond India, note 2 important things, cost of living and purchasing power parity (P3). Well, I can tell you what the impact would be, few months back I was in London, so costly that my purse was set off by 40K Rs in a week time, ofcourse it is the 2nd costliest place in the world.

Well, my equation is simple, I look forward for a savings of 10 lakhs INR p.a post tax with a decent life style. (why 10 lakhs? read MiM). Once again don't scratch the backs of consultants, it works well if you swim on own.

USA hogs the limelight without doubt and should remain first choice. As a saying goes, (pretty)wives of (dumb)engineers in USA make better than (pity) engineers in India. And especially when H1-b are scarce and employers are not coming forward, look for other avenues. A salary of 95K USD in CA is very much equal to 75K USD in NY. You may use Salary calculator.

UK certainly stands second to USA when it comes to salary potential. You can have better life style, much beautiful and lively than USA.

Any other? Huh, Greenland to Newzealand, where in the world a country is spared by Indians!

Why I chose Singapore?
Can you believe there is a place in world where you pay less than 5% of gross towards income tax?? The better, being close to home and my equation holds here, it's another Bangalore. Though I miss weekly visit to Madanapalle that I used to when I was in Bangalore. In the long run, say 10-20 years horizon, economically speaking Asia outperforms Americas, good reason for true economics lover to side with dark horses rather than champion.

And for girls.. ideally close to mom and dad, unfortunately the same mom and dad bind you to an nri, insurmountable pressure, who'll bell them that they can't see their sweet heart once an year at least.

3 Comments:

Blogger darthcoder said...

Yo man, thanks for visiting my blog, are u "Harshal" from TE by any chance??

And U in singapore now??Well , Am similar to u in a sense that am obsessed with money, not greedy but I always have the urge to save it and spend carefully.And are you an IITian or something cos a starting salary of 4.5 lacs is something of a dream for me even after 2 years of eksperience.

Secondly, I need to keep track of the time I waste/spend, Dad always keeps reminding me of the same but I always ignore that...

I need to mop up my act though..

Lastly, Am into equities as well, am a small time player compared to ur NetWorth though ;).

Uve inspired me to set a target of duff to be earnt for an early retirement, am getting some offers from the US, hope it turns out alright...My targets will be modest unlike urs though ;).

Thanks once again for dropping by.

Regards,
DC.

1/2/06 6:23 PM  
Blogger Janani said...

thnx for visiting my blog!!!Any way howz tht u landed up there??And a nice blog of urs.keep visting & encouraging

7/2/06 11:28 PM  
Blogger REFLEX said...

Harsha, Nice writeups. Keep it up. thanx for ur comments. I'll be a freq visitor to ur blogs.

8/2/06 2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home